8 mysterious places on earth!
In for some adventure? Take a journey to one of these strange and mysterious places on earth!
The top 8:
1. The Bermuda Triangle – Area between Bermuda, Puerto Rico and Miami. Many ships and airplanes vanished here. Is this due to compass deviations, a magnetic field, gigantic waves or human mistakes? Nobody knows…
2. Socotra is archipelago the Horn of Africa and Arabic Peninsula, but the main island of Socotra is 95% of the whole landmass, while the rest is just small islands. This place is probably the most alien-looking on Earth. One third of the flora and fauna on this island, can be found only here. The umbrella-shaped “blood tree,” the cucumber tree, giant succulent tree, different kinds of birds, spiders, bats and cats have the only habitat on Socotra.
3. Mount Roraima is located on the triple border point between Brazil, Guyana and Venezuela. It is weird because of its shape, but is also mysterious because of the clouds that are always near the peak and the endemic fauna. The tabletop of the mountain, which is the peak actually, is considered as one of the world’s oldest geological formations. It is believed that the plateau was formed by water and winds, but the reason why some species can’t be found anywhere else remain mystery.
4. Rio Tinto – This river in the south of Spain turns red due to the minerals in the water, mostly iron. The high level of acid in the this river is what makes it so special. It has high similarity to the underground waters on the planet Mars.
5. Fly Geyser – The Fly Geyser, near Gerlach, Nevada, is special because it grows. At the moment it’s three meters high but it keeps growing.
6. McMurdo Dry Valleys – The Dry Valleys are located at Antartica but believe it or not, there’s no snow. This place is like a desert, but the coldest desert on earth. The valleys are “bleeding” from the many geysers, because of the high concentration of iron, making a picture of a world different from Earth.
7. Easter Island – The well known statues on the Easter Island, the rapa nui, still remain mystery for the researchers. The statues are over 50 feet tall, but no one has a clue who built them, why they built them, how they were brought there, and so on. One of the theories is that a civilization has lived here long time ago, but the people ate everything on the island and either moved somewhere else or were exterminated.
8. Racetrack Playa – Racetrack Playa in California is well known due to its sailing stones. No one knows how, but the stones there somehow manage to move from their original position, leaving a track behind them. The reasons are still unknown and are subject of research. It is supposed that the winds in the valley are “responsible” for this.